Connection failed

POST TOPICS GENERAL IN NATURE RELATED TO UNREAL
Forum rules
Remember our site rules for decency and language. Do not use racial, gender or other unacceptable undertones.
species8472
FOD
FOD

Connection failed

Post by species8472 »

This problem has been worked out but I am posting here in case someone else has the same issue.

A while ago I started having a problem getting in some servers including Sickpup's. When trying to get in I would get the connecting message followed by the LOADING window then the CONNECTING window would stay there for a period until I would get the connection failed message. Sparky spent a long time helping me correct this issue. After a lot of searching we found out how to remedy the problem. It was failing because it was timing out before the connection was complete. The default setting is set at 15 seconds and since I have started using the stopwatch I see it usually takes 12-22 seconds so the 15 seconds was not enough. All that was needed was going to advanced options/networking/tcp-ip network play and raising the connection timeout number.

Why the connecting time takes this long may be another thing. Part of it could be my ISP or anti-virus software. A few seconds doesn't really matter and as long as it is working I am happy for now.

As everyone here knows we all owe Sparky (or as I call him The Wise One) a lot for the tons of help he is always willing to give anyone and the time he spends keeping this community together.

species_8472
DaveAnd___
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Re: Connection failed

Post by DaveAnd___ »

species8472 wrote:This problem has been worked out but I am posting here in case someone else has the same issue.

A while ago I started having a problem getting in some servers including Sickpup's. When trying to get in I would get the connecting message followed by the LOADING window then the CONNECTING window would stay there for a period until I would get the connection failed message. Sparky spent a long time helping me correct this issue. After a lot of searching we found out how to remedy the problem. It was failing because it was timing out before the connection was complete. The default setting is set at 15 seconds and since I have started using the stopwatch I see it usually takes 12-22 seconds so the 15 seconds was not enough. All that was needed was going to advanced options/networking/tcp-ip network play and raising the connection timeout number.

Why the connecting time takes this long may be another thing. Part of it could be my ISP or anti-virus software. A few seconds doesn't really matter and as long as it is working I am happy for now.

As everyone here knows we all owe Sparky (or as I call him The Wise One) a lot for the tons of help he is always willing to give anyone and the time he spends keeping this community together.

species_8472
Species - Thanks for this - I know other players with this issue in newbies.. I think it may be machine related - I've recently updated my machine(but still use XP) and it takes me considerably longer to connect.

I'll pass this on...

Ta
species8472
FOD
FOD

Post by species8472 »

I just wanted to bump this back near the top because I have seen a few people with this problem lately. They are always glad to hear how to fix it.

species8472
Masterman
FOD
FOD

Post by Masterman »

Heh, this is an enormous topic to try and cover, but just start with the basics:

Are you running an external firewall application? If yes, make sure Unreal is in it's list of exceptions. (same applies for Windows firewall).

What Anti-virus are you using? Look through it's options and see if there are any options for applications being scanned.

If behind a router, you may need to configure it for unreal as the majority of new routers have built in firewalls and SPI's. Check your manual on how to do this. (A quick way to see is the obvious, plug your Cable modem directly into your computer. If you don't want to do this, find the setting for DMZ and Enable it, thereby opening all available ports. This is only for testing, make sure to disable/close it once you are done.)

Last resort: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440
Cactus
-(DOG)-
-(DOG)-

Post by Cactus »

Hey species....you helped my wife (Jules) out with this problem the other day so I just wanted to say thanks. We're both grateful you took the time to help her out.